Low back pain can make a person completely incapacitated as to walk, to move and even lie with this symptom can be very problematic.
The article discusses the possible causes of pain in lower spine. Describes the symptoms of diseases, methods of diagnosis and treatment.
The problem of disease in the spine are the most relevant for the elderly. But doctors often hear complaints that back pain at the bottom of the spine, from people of younger age.
Pain is a signal about any problems in the body. It is not a separate disease, most often, is a manifestation of a particular disease. Various lesions of the axial skeleton are the most common causes of pain in the lumbosacral region.
Causes of pain in the spine, and symptoms of diseases causing it
Back pain at the bottom of the spine can be the cause of various diseases of the back. Affected can be any of the structures of the spine — joints, vertebral discs, muscles, ligaments, tendons.
Provoking factors of abnormalities are:
- age-related changes;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- systemic diseases;
- excessive load on the spine;
- some of the infection.
There are a number of diseases in which low back pain expressed most intensely that breaks the habitual way of life.
Table 1. Disorders of the spine and their symptoms:
|Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory disease of the spine. It most often develops in the joints of the lumbosacral spine.||The disease develops gradually. Symptoms depending on the stage. At an early stage, the disease is almost asymptomatic. In the morning it hurts at the bottom of the spine, a sense of a small limitation. These symptoms pass after exercise. With the development of disease symptoms increases. At a later stage develop typical disease of the spinal deformity is a posture of the applicant (photo).|
|Hernia of the lumbar spine — a bulging of the nucleus pulposus of the disc outside of the space between the two vertebrae.||The main symptom is severe pain at the bottom of the spine. It appears because of the infringement of the nerve roots. The pain may radiate to the buttock and leg. A decrease in the amplitude of movement, it is difficult to squat, climb stairs. There is a violation of skin sensitivity in the affected area is feeling cold or hot.|
|Lumbosacral osteochondrosis — degenerative-dystrophic disease of the spine and intervertebral discs.||Pathology is manifested by pain in the buttocks and lowering the tone of the calf muscles. It becomes the cause of limitation of physical activity. Patients complain of fatigue, lack of energy. The pain of the spine at the bottom allows you to select a comfortable position for sleeping, so the body can not fully relax. Increases the sensitivity of the feet, they occur cramps. The skin of the extremities is dry, scaly.|
In addition to the above diseases, pain in the lower spine can cause disease of the internal organs. Therefore, the appearance of pain symptoms must go to a medical facility for diagnosis and subsequent treatment.
Before prescribe treatment, the doctor must find out the cause of pain. Given the complexity of diagnosis, using all possible research methods.
Preliminary diagnosis at the stage of survey and examination of the patient. To confirm it, it is necessary to conduct laboratory and instrumental studies.
- Analysis of blood, urine, puncture of the bone tissue. Data analysis can show the presence of inflammation, rheumatoid factor, various infections, increase in uric acid.
- An x-ray. X-ray shows the condition of the bones of the spine, presence of osteophytes, the height of the joint space. On radiographs it is possible to see the presence of intervertebral hernia.
- Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. Procedures allow a detailed study of the spine and pelvic bones, layer by layer to explore the surrounding soft tissue to determine the presence of tumor masses.
Timely diagnosis will prevent the development of complications and to increase the effectiveness of treatment.
What should be the treatment
Treatment of pain in the lumbar-sacral region of the spine depends on the cause, aimed at its elimination. Therapy is chosen individually.
But in any case it needs to be comprehensive:
- drug therapy;
- traditional medicine.
When you have spine down, you need to reduce the burden on him. For this, the patient is prescribed bed rest and wearing orthoses — corsets, bandages, lumbar orthoses and belts.
People who are overweight are encouraged adherence to a low calorie diet. It is necessary to exclude from the diet of fatty, fried dishes, smoked products, canned products, cakes and confectionery.
Disease in the initial stages amenable to conservative therapy. In advanced pathologies need surgical intervention. Increasingly performed using minimally invasive surgery that is less traumatic, reduces the rehabilitation period.
Treatment with drugs is important in the correction of abnormalities of the axial skeleton, and leads to improvement of the patient's condition when selecting medications. Drug therapy is aimed at eliminating the causes and symptoms of the disease, restore function of the spine.
The price of medicines can be quite high, but without them it is impossible to achieve positive results.
Almost all medical institutions for the treatment of musculoskeletal system, offer patients to alleviate the condition using a variety of physiotherapy. Physiotherapy is considered an effective method, because after its application decreases pain and inflammation, improve blood circulation and nutrition of articular tissues, accelerating the recovery of the whole organism.
- Electrophoresis. Using galvanic current to tissues of the spine are injected drugs. The dose of the drug is reduced, but this does not diminish its effectiveness.
- Laser therapy. The amplified light beam affects the nerve roots and eliminates the neurological symptoms. Stimulates the regeneration of damaged tissues.
- Magnetotherapy. This is the most effective method of treatment of an osteochondrosis of a loin. Low frequency electromagnetic field improves blood flow and restores mobility in the lumbar region.
- Ultrasound. Ultrasonic wave effectively eliminate pain and inflammation. Have a strengthening effect on the affected area.
The treatment can be continued in sanatoria, where patients enjoy therapeutic baths, showers, mud therapy.
Physical therapy in diseases of the lumbosacral spine is granted after thorough examination of the patient to exclude comorbidities and complicated forms of the disease, which can cause deterioration of the patient.
The patient is given detailed instructions on exercise:
- training should be regular;
- the pace of the exercises is slow, and constant control of health;
- exercises are performed smoothly without sudden movements;
- it is impossible to independently change the intensity and order of exercises;
- sessions are terminated when the increased pain in the lumbar region;
- during pauses it is useful to hang on the bar for one minute.
Approximate set of exercises can be found by looking at the video in this article.
The person feels great discomfort when he is at the bottom of the spine. So in the course are any ways to resolve this pain. Along with the traditional treatment used traditional medicine.
There are many, centuries-tested means of helping to deal with the unpleasant manifestations of diseases of the spine:
- A compress of black radish. Grate the root crop, squeeze and mix with sour cream. On the back put this mixture, cover with film wrap and tie a woolen cloth. Keep for half an hour, avoiding severe burning.
- Honey rubbing. Lower back intensely rubbed with honey to normalize the blood circulation. The procedure is done before bedtime.
- A dry heat. Make a dense fabric pouch and fill it with buckwheat, salt or cherry pits. Warmed in the oven or microwave and applied to the lower back.
- Infusion cinquefoil. Dry root cinquefoil medium size chop and pour a half liter of vodka. Infuse for a month. To accept on a teaspoon 3 times a day.
The effectiveness of traditional recipes have long been recognized by official medicine. But before applying you should consult with your doctor.
Folk remedies for the treatment of back pain are prepared from natural ingredients
A condition when a person has a sore back, lower spine discomfort is felt, requires immediate treatment to the doctor. Timely medical care reduces the risk of complications.