When you have back pain near the shoulder blades should not be smeared different ointments, to stay home and wait for a miracle of healing. This symptom may indicate quite different from each other diseases that require timely diagnosis and treatment of a specialist doctor from a neurologist to a pulmonologist or cardiologist.
Causes of pain in shoulder blades
Pain in the blades may occur in diseases and injuries of the blades themselves and in some diseases of the chest cage and thoracic spine.
- Injuries of the scapula. Most common direct trauma. It happens when the person falls or gets hit with a fist or foot to the shoulder blade. Very rare blade is broken when falling on a straight arm. Fractures of this flat triangular bone, the lower otlomok her under the effect of thrust muscle moves down. In the zone of fracture thus swelling and swelling. 2.
- Paralysis of the front gear, the trapezius and rhomboid muscles, in of infection and damage to nerves of the back as well as myopathies develops so-called acquired winged scapula. The reason it can also be a contusion of the region of the shoulder girdle or damage to the long thoracic nerve. 3.
- Shoulder crunch with the active movements in the shoulder joint accompanied by moderate pain and an unpleasant sense of discomfort in the shoulder blades. It is caused by exostosis of the scapula or chronic inflammation of the synovial Bursa of the subscapular. 4.
- Osteomyelitis develops after any open injuries of the scapula and is accompanied by symptoms of intoxication and pain in the shoulder blade. Often there are deep intramuscular purulent streaks. The prognosis of this disease is almost always favorable. 5.
- Tuberculosis of scapula is very rare and only in adult patients. 6.
- Tumors of the scapula can be benign (osteoma, osteochondroma, osteoblastoklastoma, chondroma) or malignant (chondrosarcoma, reticulosarcoma). Diagnose them by x-ray. If necessary, carry out needle biopsy to verify the nature of the tumor. 7.
- Cervical or thoracic degenerative disc disease, which irritated the roots of the cervical-brachial plexus, and pain in the shoulder, sometimes radiating into the upper limb, worried day and night, prevents sleep. Movement in it is limited. 8.
- Burning pain in the region of the left scapula may be a manifestation of such dangerous diseases as myocardial infarction or aneurysm of the thoracic aorta. 9.
- Pain in shoulder blades and chest can occur in chronic pneumonia, pleurisy and lung cancer.
What to do when back pain in the blades?
The variety of reasons, we understood, now I understand why self-treatment can sometimes bring more harm than good. So it's important to consult a doctor who will prescribe examination and adequate treatment.
- In injuries of the scapula have resorted to the use of analgesics (Movalis, Ketonal) and fixation of the limb with a bandage. Often resort to physiotherapeutic procedures (electrophoresis lidazy and novocaine, ultrasound) that stimulate the formation of callus and reduce inflammation in the fracture. •
- Neurological disease treated by a doctor neurologist. Widely used the massage and electromyostimulation. •
- Osteomyelitis is assigned to antibacterial therapy, applied surgical techniques: opening and sanitation of purulent focus. •
- When TB patients are hospitalized in specialized hospital, where they undergo a specific treatment. •
- When a malignancy surgical treatment is indicated: the execution of the interscapular -thoracic resection, preferably with preservation of the upper extremity (if possible). •
- In osteochondrosis are assigned non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Movalis, diclofenac), is a good help in this case, acupuncture, physical therapy and manual therapy. Good therapeutic effect is observed in the application of Lyapko applicator. This applicator was developed by a physician Reflexologist to reduce back pain, while increasing circulation of this region and aktiviziruyutsya anti-inflammatory mechanisms. The method is based on the doctrine of Nulla impact on specific points of our body. •
- If there is suspected myocardial infarction, the patient should be urgently hospitalized in the cardiology hospital, where he provided rest, while the therapy of anticoagulants and fibrinolytic agents. A pain relieved by narcotic analgesics. •
- Diseases of the respiratory system are treated in the pulmonology Department. Inflammatory processes used antibiotics, mucolytics, expectorant drugs, physiotherapy, inhalations. If the cancer process is shown special treatment (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy).
Thus, to identify the true cause of the disease and prescribe adequate treatment can only a doctor. To avoid unpleasant consequences, you should not delay seeking medical care, one stage of which is the MRI examination of the cervical spine to accurately identify the disease and its specificity.
An MRI examination is the most reliable and harmless way to get the correct diagnosis. In this survey the patient's health is not at risk, but to identify any possible causes of the negative symptoms. In many ways, the accuracy of the diagnosis depends on clinic equipment. In some modern centers use a powerful MRI scanner Siemens 1.5 Tesla. High resolution images are enough to identify even the initial stages of disease.